In India, companies across industries such as BFSI, manufacturing, e-commerce, healthcare, and government are turning to the cloud ecosystem. This move to the cloud is associated with cybersecurity risks, as traditional perimeter security can no longer protect the corporate network from malicious attackers. Sumed Marwaha, Vice President of Regional Services and Managing Director of Unisys India, talks to Sudhir Chowdhary about the evolution of cybersecurity with the Covid-19 outbreak and the importance of the cloud in a hybrid business model. Excerpts:
Why is cloud migration becoming a must for businesses across industries?
When the pandemic struck, adopting the cloud emerged as a cost-effective and viable approach to operate remotely and provide seamless access to organizational data and resources to employees. The advantages offered by cloud technology are:
Reduced capital expenditure: With increasing cost pressures, the pay-as-you-go model offered by cloud technologies is helping organizations as they now have the ability to convert capital expenses into operational expenses.
Greater flexibility: The rapid provisioning and resulting flexibility offered by cloud technology helps companies respond more quickly to different market and customer demands.
Increased resiliency: The high availability and low latency of the cloud make it a viable technology backbone for remote working.
Even in the post-pandemic world, remote and hybrid work models are expected to continue, as is the continued adoption of cloud technology. With growing awareness of cloud service providers and organizations as well as improvements in cloud security, challenges prohibiting cloud adoption are being addressed more effectively, resulting in greater adoption of cloud technology.
How are hybrid workplace models changing cloud strategies to improve the employee experience?
Technology in the workplace is an important dimension of the employee experience. With most, if not all employees working remotely, companies are focusing on the type of workplace technology and the overall experience offered to their staff to ensure productivity, collaboration, and therefore better. results for clients. Remote and hybrid working methods are expected to continue even after the pandemic, as organizations and employees have realized the benefits of operating in this way. However, some of the main challenges of working in this way are providing seamless access to company data, applications and resources to employees, as well as enabling effective collaboration. Adopting cloud technology has proven to be an effective approach to address these challenges. Increased efficiency, ease of deployment, remote accessibility and facilitation of collaboration, these are some of the advantages offered by cloud technology that make it a priority in the hybrid or remote world of work.
Why should IT managers prioritize cloud adoption and employee training? What kind of measures has Unisys India implemented on this front?
The pandemic has dramatically changed workplaces and workforce. Remote working happened overnight, out of necessity rather than design. Digital Workplace Insights report, an IDC white paper sponsored by Unisys, reveals that around the world, nearly 40% of the workforce has been forced to switch to remote working methods almost overnight overnight, while the remaining 60% continued to adapt and find new, safer ways of working. ways of doing their job. With the workforce dispersed in home offices, enabling secure access to corporate data and resources has become a priority and cloud technology the viable approach for this.
Unisys focuses on the cloud and infrastructure space and has partnerships with leading players in this space such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud. Our cloud teams are continuously trained and certified on various cloud technologies to keep them abreast of technological changes and innovations in this space.
What are some of the best practices and security protocols for businesses to follow when addressing network or cloud cyber threats?
Cyber security is a key priority for all businesses, especially in the new normal. Some of the best practices that businesses can follow to tackle network or cloud-related cyber threats are:
- Less use of old-fashioned VPNs that do not scale and more use of Zero Trust processes and technology, including always encrypted direct access, identity verification tools and a defined perimeter by software to limit the damage caused by malware.
- Look beyond “winning” with security and focus on resilience and confidence. A good focus on trust and resilience could make the difference between taking over an organization or not.
- Look to the future: Prioritize and implement the adoption of next-generation cyber tools.
- Focus on the human angle of cybersecurity.